www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

New owner 1988 24' Volvo 5.7 Duoprop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bama1992

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: New owner 1988 24' Volvo 5.7 Duoprop Reply with quote

After looking at these boats for about a year now I finally found one in Norfolk,Va. After getting her home I couldn't wait to get her in the water, what an awesome boat! I get compliments on her all the time, however the good times came to a halt after discovering a hole in the u-joint bellows, guess it's time to post questions in another area of the forum. Great website!
I'd like to give a shout to S&S marine for helping me with my Loadmaster trailer.
NorAn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I have had an '85 for about 2 years. I'm keeping an eye on my rubber but believe it was replaced when it was reowered about 6 years ago. So far they look fine.

The props are another story. Had not been serviced for about 3 years prior to my purchase. I haven't tied to remove them, assuming they are already corrosion-welded to the splines. Lots of threads on this if you look. Good idea to check it out in case... Hope to loose the B5 Alum props this winter and put on (probably) a set of C4 $$$. WOT on the B5 produces good speed (~31 kts), but at a max rpm of 3200.

The oldeer Albes are great boats, but require some upkeep (don't all boats?). My wife asked when I was going to stop working on it... I replied- Either when I die or sell it!

Woody
uno mas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check bellows whenever you can, at least twice yearly or more if trailered and replace as needed. Pull and lube props and lower unit oil same schedule.
Had to have my u joint and gimbel bearing replaced last year.
Gimbel bearing was seized and had to be drilled out. OUCH !!
Good luck, you've got a well found craft.

bama1992

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat overall is in excellent condition,however it had been stored in a warehouse for the past few years, so far I've replaced u-joints and bellows, and just the other day had to replace my raw water pump impeller because it dry rotted and fell to pieces. It left me stranded a few miles off shore but i plummed my wash down pump into the FWC and was able to limp back home. I'll get the kinks out of it eventualy. It is a great riding boat though and have no regrets at all.
Grout

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bama,

You don't see to many Albemarle's down this way. I live in Moss Point, MS about thirty miles to your west and own as 26 Express. Congrats on your boat and I'm sure you will get things worked out.
peejcj8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bama

Check out my boat name.

Ive had my Albie for about 2 years now. If it can be removed or worked on, Ive messed with it, replaced it or fixed it.

Make sure your deck lids do not leak. I replaced my tank last year due to them leaking when I got the boat. The only part of the 27 year old tank with any corrosion on it was where it was leaked on.

Eric

Hull #10
Roll Tide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: