www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

New owner 32 express
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slam Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: New owner 32 express Reply with quote

I have wanted this boat for many years, now i got one.

I guess I must be crazy, I bouught a 1991 boat in Port Aranass Tx and brought her home to Plm Beach Fl on her own hull.

This was a boat trip not to be forgoten, I never want to see the Gulf of Mexico ever again there is no water over there, 30 miles offshore 10 feet of water.

I was lucky I had no prolems with the boat, but issues with the bow ridding high, 21 knots was about the max, I believe i need to get more bow down attitude, only got 3/4 mile to gallon.
daybreak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: trip Reply with quote

Welcome to be site.

If you made the trip in one piece, that's encouraging.

Chesapeake Bay
Deep Threat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam Dancer,

Good luck with the boat.

Regarding the "bow riding high", check out the thread "Bow Rise" in the General Information section. IMHO, it's one of the only down sides to running certain Albie express boats.

Slam Dancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys
I did make the trip in one piece spent about $4000.00 in fuel I am not broke but it was a hell of a trip.

About bow rise the artical I found was about trim tabs and smart rails but the guy never finished talking about the smart rails, I don't know if they worked.

Slam Dancer
Palm Beach Fl
Slam Dancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should read what I write "I am now broke" not not.
Connie Gail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Slam Dancer!

Glad to have you aboard. We need more 320 owners here. I'd agree with you about the bow high attitude and would second what was said about it being one of the few drawbacks to our boats. I LOVE mine and have learned to deal with that issue.

We do not have a large number of 32's here, but would love to swap ideas with you any time on what I've done with mine or vice versa. I think you'll find that you have one heck of a great boat.

Hope you'll post some pics.

"Connie Gail" 1995 Albemarle 320 Express Fisherman...Little River, SC
Slam Dancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys

I spoke to Bennett trim taps and they recomeded a 12x30 trim tap,
the guy who's going to work on the boat did not like the idea, he believes that the tabs take away from perfomance.

I have alot of respect for what he thinks, there is other things we can do, one idea was to swap transmisiom port to starboard ( a little expensive) he said race boats have been doing it for years. he says the boat will pop out of the water.

I am going to take him for a ride next weekend, (fyi) he desigened and built the Juptier 31 he he is boat sharp.

Slam Dancer
32 Albemarle Is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog.
Tower Todd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd the transmission swap go? Did it work? Keep us posted - inquiring minds want to know.
Tower Todd
Connie Gail

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an interesting experience this past weekend. I was heading offshore for some fishing and the boat just wouldn't get up to speed. I was only getting 2400 RPMs out of both engines and about 19 knots. The boat really seemed to be plowing. It had been a few weeks since I'd been able to run the boat and I figured it had some marine growth that needed to be cleaned off. I ran it most of the day and it didn't improve. Once back inside, I put on a mask and fins and swam under the boat to see how dirty it was. It was really clean, but I did notice that my trim tabs were retracted.

I remember that I put them fully down (the way I normally run them) on the way down the ICW. I remember doing it. For some reason, they weren't down though. Once I got back onboard, I put them down again and got underway. Now everything seemed perfectly normal. The speed and RPMs were right where I would expect them to be. I don't know why the tabs weren't down. They seemed to be functioning normally now. I am not sure if I had a temporary electrical probem or a hydraulic problem or if my 8 year old son who was riding up in the tower with my dad may have messed with the switches up there, but they weren't down.

Anyway, they definitely improved the preformance greatly when they were down. I got an extra 7 to 8 knots out of it and was able to get 2800 RPMs but normally cruise at 2450. I'm not sure what a pair of much larger tabs would do, but the factory tabs greatly improve performance. I'm interested in the transmission swap idea. Let us know how that goes!

Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary I have a 320 1996 vintage and after all the ideas and conversations I had a pair of 12 X 30 Tabs made and bolted them directly to the old ones I am impressed, keeps the bow down and I picked up 1.5 knots and my fuel usage is down 5 to 8% depending on the load. Easiest fix available for our battle wagons, the factory just should have put bigger tabs on these boats.
PS I had the 12" edges bent down and the back lip bent up for rigity and I bolted them for testing but I will be solid welding the lead edge this winter on haulout.

Captain Garry Frey Indian River Marina Delaware Dock C slip 25
Connie Gail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's the kind of post I love to hear. A REAL solution! I've been considering this for some time now. I was a bit afraid that the larger tabs might be too much stress on the smaller hinges and attachment points on the boat. Evidently you have not had any issues with that. I had talked with someone at Bennett that said that the actuator was the same for the larger tabs as the smaller ones so I knew that the actuator was up to the task, but of course they couldn't condone modifying their procuct.

What did you make the tabs out of...stainless? How thick? How did you bolt them on while it was in the water? Or did you have it out when you bolted them on and will be welding them later on? The numbers that you mention are truly impressive. I'm VERY interested in doing this. I'd like to wait until you have hauled yours out and welded them just to make sure that you didn't find any stress cracks or anything. Did you do the work yourself or did you have a boat yard do the work? If they did it, were they leery of doing it?

Anything else we should know about it? Please keep us posted on this. There are several guys here that will be excited to see your post.

Thanks so much for this great post!

riffraff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, but I don't understand how it helped you pick up speed or increase fuel economy...do you mind elaborating..thanks.
Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will elaborate on this in depth early next week, I have charters Friday and Saturday and Sunday is clean-up Monday at work I will give you the details in depth. Sorry I have been away for awhile and just checked back in good to see more Alby guys here to share notes.

Captain Garry Frey Indian River Marina Delaware Dock C slip 25
Connie Gail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Garry, While you're elaborating, can you tell me if your tabs were 12 x 30 BEFORE or AFTER you bent the edges? How much did you bend the edges...I mean...I assume that you bent them 90 degrees, but how large were the edges that you bent down on the sides and up at the rear? I envision something like an inch or so.

I also assume that you bolted the larger tabs UNDER the existing tabs...correct?

Well, good luck with the charters this weekend and thanks again for this info!

Slam Dancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stsrted this topic I had just brought the boat back to Florida and all I have been doing since then is cleaning and trying to get the boat up to condition I have not done anythig to fix the ride.

As far as swaping the trans right to left I believe it will cost to much.

Before I bought this boat I ran a 99 model it did not seem to have a bow high atatuide and it made 25knots, this is the new style boat with the motors moved foward and gen moved to the rear and hatch moved foward. Other than that I do not know of anythins eles that was changed,
(if there is let me know) if this holds true maybe we can and wieght to the bow to help move the center of gravity.

what do y'all think about that.

Slam Dancer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: