www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Outdrive losing oil, 290 Duo prop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Mechanical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bama1992

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Outdrive losing oil, 290 Duo prop Reply with quote

I'm experiencing a slight loss of oil from my outdrive, an oil sheen can be seen in the exhaust H20 when running on muffs. Is this a normal condition or do I need to replace the seals right away? Does anyone know exactly where and which seals i should replace? Appreciate any info, thanks.
Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bama,

A relatively simple way of locating the leak is to hookup an air pump with a gage on it to the top of the outdrive where the dip stick plug goes. Use one of the lower unit oil fill fittings that you can buy anywhere and replace the oil hand pump with an air pump. Pump the outdrive up to 3-4 psig and look for leaks. I have a 1993 265 XF with a DP-D outdrive which is connected by a jackshaft to a 300HP 7.4L. My exhust is routed directly overboard rather than through the outdrive. When I pulled my outdrive last fall I discovered that my outdrive oil was milky in color which was indicative of water intrusion. I pulled the seals associated with the shift and duo prop shafts. Both locations showed signs of leakage so I replaced them both. For my Duo Prop there are two seal kits that are sold by Volvo Penta. One for the upper section of the drive and one for the lower section of the drive. I tried to buy just the parts (seals) I needed but I didn't have the individual part numbers so I ended up buying the complete kit. The kits are all inclusive as the have all the seals, gaskets and o-rings you would need if you completely overhauled your outdrive. They are very expensive $200 +/- for both kits. If your outdrive matched up with mine I can give you the individual part numbers.
Most of the aftermarket manuals have good instructions for replacing the seals, so you should be all set once you decide what needs to be replaced.

Bart W AKA HUNTER II
bama1992

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Hunter. My power train is a 5.7GSI DP-A2 so I don't think the part# would match. I will gat a manual and come up with a plan. Do you know if the seals can be replaced w/o removing the outdrive? I assume you drain the oil first before pressuring it up,right?
Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bama,

I would pressurize the outdrive with it full of oil. The leaks will be more obvious that way. If the leak is in one of the seals you can do the replacement without removing the outdrive. You would want to remove the props before you press up the drive. It will give you a clearer picture regarding the shaft seals. If the leak is in the gasketed joints that connect the lower, intermediate, or upper drive sections, you probably would want to take the drive off. There are some internal sealing points that isolate the drive lubeoil from the exhaust. You would want to take the drive off to access these as well.

Bart W AKA HUNTER II
daybreak

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Volvo parts Reply with quote

Without preference to any particular site sponsor, I would will be willing to bet that one or more of them will email you a parts explosion for your drive if you can provide them with your drive #. Your local dealer may or may not do this as well.
Chesapeake Bay
bama1992

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daybreak! I did contact one of the site sponsers and they responded promptly with lots of info.
Edisto Albemarle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had several replaced due to inexperienced crew tangling teasers or line in the props. Depending on, you can change the oil, but changing the seals in nearest the props will probably solve your problem (we've never had one leak in the upper seals). The last thing you want is saltwater in your gears for an extended time. We have ours on a lift, but if kept in the water, you definitely need to change them. If I could do it again, we would probably go with straight inboards (for manueverability and maintenance issues).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Mechanical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: