www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Recently into boat market with questins re Albe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> General Conversation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryhorne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Recently into boat market with questins re Albe Reply with quote

I've been around boats for a long time but always in entry level.

I'm interested in your thoughts regarding the applicability of an older 24 ft Albe Exp for my requirements. I have a limited budget of around $25,000.

I live in the Virginia Beach area of VA and am a diver and got hooked on Striper fishing last winter.

I'm interested in buying a boat that I can used for sport fishing, 20 + miles off VA coast and also using for offshore out of Hatteras, NC for diving roughly 25 - 30 miles out. I understand the ride will be good but what about the drift during diving entry and exit? Oh I have to get a boat that my wife and daughter can use (specifically room for a port-a-potty).

I've always admired the 24 Albe and understand its legendary ride.

I am interested in its economy with fuel reaching $3.00 plus per gallon when compared to other vessels with single OB (assuming there are reasonable comparitives). Can you give me some estimates of gph at normal cruise? I understand normal cruise is around 24 kts and WOT is just over 34 kts. Is this correct?

I own a 1998 Chevy Tahoe 4WD. I understand the Abe is a solid and heavier vessel, will the tahoe tow it ok? I'd be towing it 100 miles one way to NC.

Any advise on whether or not I'm looking at the correct boat and to the right configuration re engine and OD is appreciated.

Regard,

Lar

Capt. Dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, welcome to the board!

You are correct that the 24' has a legendary ride, it is a real pocket battlewagon that can slug it out with much larger boats. She's not the fastest boat out there, but when it gets snotty with a tight 2-3' chop you can see all the other boats in her class and above slowing down, while the Albe just keeps cruising along at her 22-24 knot cruise. Outboard boats tend to like to run slow or fast, because all that weight is hanging off the transom it is difficult to achieve that slow, on plane speed. The Albe doesn't suffer from this weight distribution problem.

As for being a good diving boat, I might look at something else. With the 24 degree deep v she is more tendoer than some of the other options out there which might make it more difficult getting in and out of the water on a rougher day. Also, the engine box eats up some cockpit room and you will have a lot of gear.

She is an economical boat, I don't have a floscan on mine, but she probably burns 9-10 gallons an hour for about 2.5 nmpg.

I tow mine with a 2001 Suburban with the tow package and Autoride suspension. It rides real nice, but you will know it's back there. We bog down on hills, but generally can cruise at 65.

If you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

The Rig.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.81 KB
 Viewed:  2850 Time(s)

The Rig.JPG

peejcj8

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to find a turn key 24 Alby for 25K easy. Look for one that has a fresh engine, and duo prop. No bottom paint prefered.

One thing about the older 24's is they take water in the scrubbers, this might sound bad, but they all do it. The deck is about a inch or 2 too low.
As long as its not getting into the bilge (easy to do) you should have no problems, except for wet feet.

Also as mentioned, the 24 Rolls easy, and while drifting or at anchor if it takes wave to the side it will roll wildly sometimes. The boat is designed to move in the water in seas with ease.

I cruise at about 25 kts, with a burn of about 2.2-2.5 NMPG.

A swim platform will be very, very helpful to a diver.

Hull #10
Roll Tide
Here We Go

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow mine back and forth to the beach frequently...100 miles each way with a Chevy Z-71..4WD. I have had the tranny rebuilt but my truck had 190K on it when that happened.

Typically I can have a 150 mile day out of VB and burn around 90 gallons of fuel, 60 out 60 back and 30 on the troll. That is typically a 12 hour day 4am to 4pm.

SP Upper/ Duoprop C-4 Lower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> General Conversation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: