www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Considering the purchase of a 280 XF opinions please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renovator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Considering the purchase of a 280 XF opinions please Reply with quote

Greetings to all, this is my first post on this forum. I am hoping to move up from myShammie 246WA in the near future and have narrowed down my choices to the 280 XF hardtop or possibly the Carolina Classic 28 but am leaning towards the Albie as it will better fit in my existing boathouse. I have read great reviews on both models but have not had an opportunity to sea trial either. I would like to hear some feedback from existing owners- good and bad, best power options, what to be on the look out for, etc. I would prefer diesel IB's vs gassers. Most of my fishing consists of trolling, and bottom bumpin on the hook. Don't do a lot of drifting here as I understand this boat can roll a bit. Our runs can vary from 20-70 nautical miles out, (N.E.FL) I will be purchasing a " used boat" as my budget is little to tight for a new one, hopefully a model in the 2002-2004 range. Thanks in advance for your replies, these forums can be a great resource. I have been a member of the Shamrock owners site and have learned much over the years. Catchem'up, Ron.
albemarle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 1999 28 albemarle before we moved up to a 305.. Great riding boat. I woudn't say there is anything wrong with the boat other then tender on the drift. The carolina classic are the same way but does have a little extra beam to make it a little better. Have been in 10-12ft seas in it. Didn't plan it that way but a good day became bad but the boat got us back better then bigger boats in the mid 30 range. Great boat an you will be happy. Our boat had the twin 200hp volvo diesel, felt a little under power on take off but up and going you could crusise at 24 25 loaded, burning only 14-15 gallons an hour on flowscan. Those motors are bullet proof pushing only 200hp out of a 6 cylinder block...... I believe they equip the boat now with 230 volvos and yanmars (correct me if wrong I don't look at the 28's anymore) but as far as hull quality, let me just say we bought another. By the way all we did was offshore fish in it up off of Delaware making 50-80 miles runs. Longest run we were 89 nm from port and I believe we only burn 150 gallons after all day trolling. I don't know how soon you are to buy but our old boat is actually up for sale and is in florida. Boat is on custom made trailer and is emaculent condition......check it out

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?boat_id=1666557&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=70831&url=

I can tell you everything about this boat that I know if you are interested!!!!

any more questions just ask

scott
timeoff
albemarle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way the new owner bit the dust and is addicted to fishing sooo much that he is moving up to a 40ft boat, that is why he is selling!!!!!

scott
timeoff
Aftergolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 280 is a great boat and I have really enjoyed mine. I have a gas inboard boat and she is great in the head sea. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
BTW, mine is up for sale here on the site.
Renovator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys. The "tender at drift" condition, at what sea state does this become apparent ? 3-4, 4-6, ? also how does she handle when running in the troughs ? Thanks, Ron.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 2005 28 straight inboards. The boat runs strong through all seas. The "tender at drift" is in certain seas. I drift in 3 and 5's (spread out) and I am fine. It is the little 2 foot tight chop that the boat does not like. It gets a consistent rock and roll back and forth. I would recommend this boat for the offshore enthusiast. For the person who wants to be able to head to the canyon and back comfortably in a 28ft boat. If all you do is fish inlets and inshore wreck fish this would not be your choice boat.
My father and I got the boat so we could shark fish and tunafish in the deep. A shark trip is usually at least 50 miles out and a tuna trip is a 20 hr day trip 200nm round trip. This is why we choose the albemarle for our needs.

Good luck,
Kevin

Renovator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Kevin, this sounds just like the boat I am looking for. Question, does the boat require much maintenance from "authorized Albemarle dealers" ? We do not have one presently in the N.E.FL. area. Typical engine maintenance and repair work should not be a problem. Ron.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see why you would need work done from a local dealer. Any warranty work that I needed done I called Albemarle directly and worked it out with them.
albemarle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renovator, did you check the one out I posted that is right down in your area. Also when buying a boat in Florida just remember it is like buying a boat double the age since many boats stay in the water and run all year long, up my way we only have about 6 or 7 months of fishing. The boat I posted was from Delware and was never kept in florida.

scott
timeoff
bluefin2na

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sea trialed my 28 yesterday in Ocean City, Md. I would guess the swells were in the 2-3ft range. While sitting still at drift the rock was not bad at all. Its no worse than my previous boat, 23 Regulator. I think it's going to be fine for any drift fishing that we do.
Renovator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, yes I did check that link out, nice looking rig! I am going to be looking at a hardtop model only as I plan to keep the boat on a lift in my current boathouse. Any boat with a tower would not work for me. However, I notice your tower was collapsible, how much time and effort is required for that ? Also, any idea of the height from the top of the trailer bunks to the top of the average hardtop on these models ? Due to the amount of deadrise I assume that the bunks have to be placed fairly close to the hull centerline by looking at the various pics of trailers. I am not sure but I may have to modify a few of the joists overhead to clear the top when lift is completely raised up. Thanks for the info.

Ron
albemarle28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the height on the trailer because we didn't have the trailer for the boat. The guy that bought it from us had the trailer custom made. THe tower would take two people and is only a matter of taking out a few bolts. My concern is aren't you planning on having outriggers??? The ones on this boat are removable as well and on trailer with tower down and outriggers out it clear all power lines and tunnels. I believe cleareance are like 13' 9" or something like that. Any other questions feel free to ask

scott
timeoff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: