www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

new 280XF owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilpri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: new 280XF owner Reply with quote

Hello to all
I am a new member with a new 280XF with twin 225 Volvo D4 diesel inboards, moved up from 26 Grady White with twin 200 OBs. My test ride was pretty impressive; can't wait to get this off the dealers lot.
Would appreciate any comments from experienced owners on the ride and durability of the 280XF.
Anybody with the same engines?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Gil P
Aftergolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil,
Congrats on your purchase. It would be helpful for us to know where you will be boating from and where you plan to run to fish, etc. I run a 2000, 280 Express out of NC, but with gas Mercruiser engines. Many of us here would be happy to help if we can. Tight lines.
gilpri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftergolf -

Thanks for the reply. I boat out of Plymouth MA, with most of the fishing done in Cape Cod Bay, Stellwagewn Bank and down the back side of the Cape. A few times a year we're down around Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket. Usually chasing stripers, blues and tuna.

I wanted a boat that would perform well and give me a few more days fishing when its 3-5 with 20 knot wind out of the SW (seems like most of our summer).

What do you think of the boat when things get nasty?
Aftergolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very impressed, and we go to the stream in the spring and it can get plenty snotty when the cold air crosses the warm water. We can run in 3-4 foot white capped head seas at 18-20 knots comfortably. We troll many times in 4-6 and foamy, and we have not had any issues with the handling or performance of the vessel.
albemarle28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use to have a 1999 28 with twin 200 volvos. now we have a 305. But the nastiest I have ever been out was in the 28 albie. calling for a 3 ft day and it turned out to be a 10-12ft day. A lot of captains remember this day because of their log books. I talked to captains a year later and they went in there boat brought out there log book and gave me the date of that day. That day is well remember by all because it was suppose to be a great day on the water, not one of them days you know its going to be a little rough when you left the dock!. But the boat handle great. Figured we probably wouldn't be able to run much faster then trolling speed so we stuck it out all day and trolled. We were trolling faster then some of the 35 ft boats that were just trying to get back to port. So that boat did impress me. Outrigger tips went pretty far under water. It def. wouldn't have been a day I would have wanted to fish, but I was glad I was in the 28 albie to get us home. So I have to tell you that you have one great boat. The only two reasons we upgraded is because the boat did not have a generator and it was tender on drift. Give it a head sea, and ride.....can't complian about the ride!!!!!

good luck with the boat.
scott
Tower Todd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind you have the best setup with the common rails, D Series Volvos. I'm running a 99 with the TAMD41's and love them. The only thing I could say is that they smoke a bit and you need to be a yoga master to reach the forward bulkhead in the engine room. The only thing I hear about those D series engines is to make absolutley sure you keep clean fuel, free from water. Very sensitive to water in fuel and can quickly cause mucho damage.
I moved up from a Wahoo 2600 with 250's. I thought that boat ran smooth until I tried the Alby. Wow! What a difference. One day last summer we crossed the Columbia River Bar and she was snotty. I never felt unsafe in her and we made it with no troubles.
Full of fuel, 3-4 guys 300 lbs. of ice and all of our gear we run out 50-60 miles, troll 6-7 hours and run back with 300-400lbs. of fish and use 115 Gallons depending on conditions. Yep I'm loving it for sure!

Good Luck With Yours!
Tower Todd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: