www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

24 express - Just found this Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hurricane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: 24 express - Just found this Board Reply with quote

I just found this board a couple of days ago. Lots of useful info. I bought my '86 24 express in 2001. Used it for 2yrs and had a couple of problems with the outdrive and trim cylinders. It was going to cost over $2k to get it fixed. I opted for a complete repower - Merc 350 MPI Horizon (fresh water cooled) w/ bravo 3. My mechanic took the old engine for trade..... so no cost for installation. The transome had to be redone for the conversion ($1000). I've had the new engine in for 3 seasons- no problems. 10 gal/hr @ 27 mph @ 2900, top speed 43 mph @ 4500 @ 19.8 gph
bill r

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board- it is a great resource.

I'm jealous of those performance figures- I also run a 24', with a carbed 350 and volvo duo-prop and at 2800-3000 my cruise is 20 at best. I'm not really looking for top end, but would like to see a little better cruise at those rpm's...
Hurricane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

A little more about my 24. I know most Albemarle fans like the Volvos. I liked mine but parts seemed to be an issue for the '86 outdrive. The Merc Bravo 3 is a 1.81 : 1 reduction w/ p20 stainless props. The fuel injected engine is 300 hp at the prop. I'm having the props reworked this winter to get a few hundred more rpm. The engine should be turning 4600- 5000 rpm WOT and I'm only getting 4500 rpm with a lite load and 1/2 tank fuel. Load it up for a day of fishing and she only will turn 4200 - 4300.

I fish the south shore of Long Island NY.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: