www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

New Member wants advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: New Member wants advice. Reply with quote

I own a 24 ft. Grady White center console with a single 250 outboard. I am interested in moving up to a heavier, drier and more seaworthy vessel. I am trying to find a decent Alby or CC in the 25 to 28 foot range. I have no experience with either boat other than people I know that have them. I am looking for something that I can fish with in the slop that leaves me in the bay with my Grady. Please advise as to any experiences with either brand. Also I would prefer to have something towable so I am trying to stay under a 9' beam. Thanks. Joe
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we moved up this year from a 24 Grady Explorer to a 28 Albemarle. Email me with your specific questions.

Kevin
fishhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a huge difference in ride and seakeeping. Can you fish on days now that you couldnt before. I dont know if I want another center with twin outboards and 30+ feet or something nicer and heavy such as the Albemarle.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Albemarle outperforms the Grady in a Head Sea, no pounding. The Albemarle is probably one of the best inlet boats that I've ever been in. The Grady was a better drifting boat. The Albemarle tends to roll on the drift.
Put it this way I was running in a 4 foot steep head sea chop with the Albemarle at 22+ knots and it was very comfortable. The Grady probably would only be able to do about 12-14 knots.
Persistence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 24 Alby or a 25 Classic will fit this bill. The 25 Classic is a big 25 (more like the 26 Alby).

The 24 is easily trailerable with a 3/4 ton (a 1/2 ton will do it, but recommend the 3/4), will run in the slop and gives a nice ride. They are not speed demons but can keep 22-24 knots in most of the slop...especially in any sort of beam, quartering sea. Head seas - it eats em' up but you have to be mindful of the throttle as in any boat if it gets big. I have 1300 hours on my 247 - in all sorts of conditions even sustained NE 26-28 knots 20 miles out of Hatteras...yeah, that was fun.

Glenn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: