www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

New Owner of a 1993 Albemarle 26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MS15BJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: New Owner of a 1993 Albemarle 26 Reply with quote

I have just bought and put in the water a 1993 Albemarle 26.

So far I am impressed with the boat but have some questions for anyone who owns one.

This boat has a 2001 Volvo 454 EFI engine and I've heard about water ingestion through the exhaust system. Does anyone know anything about the problem and how it was fixed?

I have also discovered that the boat is quite tender (probably because of it's narrow beam and deep vee hull). Can anyone confirm that that is their experience as well.? Maybe it's a characteristic of all Albies.

Another problem that I've discovered is the steering. This boat has a Hynautic hydraulic steering system with four turns from lock to lock and it is a bear to steer in a stright line. I'd like to hear from someone on this issue as well.

For those that are interested I weighed the boat and with full fuel and full water it weighed 7850 lbs and the LCG was 8'8" forward of the transom. This data is of interest to me because I intend to install a Hamilton Jet in the boat this winter.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone.

[/list]
PE II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you already know the two worse traits ofthe 26'er. Water ingestion on the EFI big blocks and the tenderness on the drift. It can be a booger to steer sometimes too as it wants to lay over on one side of the Deep V of the other.

Not a lot of discussion on the water ingestion problem here. It is a true problem with experiences all over teh spectrum. Lots of discussion on www.thehulltruth.com . Do a search on 26' Albemarle.

Can't comment on the steering. I have heard others complain about it at idle speed, but not really any while running. A combination of the deep vee entry and the I/O I suspect to be the big culprits to the steering issue.

Not sure how well that jet is going to push a big heavy deep vee boat. Not well I imagine. Don't know enough about them other then to make an educated guess.

BTW - Welcome aboard! Very Happy

Reel Dreams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Albemarle 27 Reply with quote

PE II - I am looking at a 27' albemarle. Are you in Virginia ? MAy I contact you with questions ? Thanks.
PE II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reel Dreams- I am in VA. Live south of Richmond and keep my boat in Norfolk. Send me a board message and we can get in touch via telephone, etc.
Reel Dreams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PE II,
I live in Richmond. I am not a member. Be glad to give my or get your phone. I don't know the "rules" for proper procedure here.
Thanks.
PE II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD - Sign up as a member. It is free. Then send me a b-mail and we can get in touch via phone. I do not like posting email address or phone number on web sites.
GW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reel Dreams What year boat are you looking at?
CVSFA
Persistence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Mike, what are ya nervous about Very Happy

As for the 26, a buddy of ours has one. Nice layout, great head sea ride. Needs attention in a following sea.

Yes, the boat is tender...most tender of the fleet IMO. I'd look hard at the 454 injestion issue...it was widespread on Alby 26's and Classic 25's.

Glenn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: