www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index
www.albemarleboatowners.com     Forum Guidelines    Boat Galleries     Buy-Sell Boats     Fishing Information     Store     Directory     Links    
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Running Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imdwise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Running Lights Reply with quote

I have a 2010 242cc. I want to replace the bow running lights with LED lights. Can anyone give me some suggestions.
Thank you
barryturano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what info you need. I took off my bow light to put on a bow sprit. Added port and Stbd running lights to each side was not a problem. Wired them to the existing wires.
imdwise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: running lights Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to know if anyone has had any specific brand/manufacturer they really like. I want to replace the individual port and starboard lights on the bow.
barryturano

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember a special brand. I bought them online (probably Amazon) the ones I bought have a 2 mile visibility.
imdwise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: running lights Reply with quote

OK thank yo
NorAn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I don't remember the brands but I have used two different ones. Two, because the first one developed a short in the wires where they exited the housing. Really toasted them where they entered the housing. The wires overheated without blowing the fuse. Lucky there was no fire! The second brand was ok and has been working for a couple of years.

Moral to the story... LED lights draw very little current and to save a few pennies, the manufacturer used small and fragile wire (about AWG #20 or smaller. It may be hard to determine this shortcoming when ordering online - instead of personally inspecting the product. In marine service mechanical integrity is important. This practice of cutting corners to save a few cents is far too common these days.

My website: www.albe24.com
imdwise

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Running Lights Reply with quote

Thank you for the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.albemarleboatowners.com Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: